There are many authoritative articles written by academics on issues related to women in leadership. But, not so many books.
I recommended these books because they were written by leading authorities on different important topics regarding the challenges women leaders face. All are well researched, well written, and offered lots of OMG and ah hah moments.
- Through the Labyrinth: The Truth About How Women Become Leaders
Authors: Alice Eagly, Linda Carli
Here’s a write up about it from the NY Times.
- The Gender Knot: Unraveling Our Patriarchal Legacy
Author: Allen Johnson
- Talking from 9 to 5: Women and Men at Work
Author: Deborah Tannen
- Women Don’t Ask: Negotiation and the Gender Divide
Authors: Linda Babcock, Sara Laschever
- The Creation of Patriarchy
Author: Gerda Lerner
- Handbook of Research on Gender and Leadership
Editor: Susan Madsen
- Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?
Author: Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic
Tomas also did a TED Talk about this here.
- Gender, Communication, and the Leadership Gap
Editors: Carolyn Cunningham, Heather Crandall, Alexa Dare
- Working with Emotional Intelligence
Author: Daniel Goleman
- Her Place at the Table: A Woman’s Guide to Negotiating Five Key Challenges to Leadership Success
Author: Deborah Kolb
Each of these books is available via Amazon, Barnes and Noble, your favorite book store or local library. Get them for yourself or give the gift of knowledge.